Monday, April 28, 2008

Much Ado About...Daffodils


I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

--William Wordsworth


My crowd, my host of daffodils has not appeared this year. So far it consists of two blossoms.

This little daffodil greeted me a couple of weeks ago...

And this full-sized bi-color bloom welcomed me last week.


I'm not sure why my daffodils have disappeared--maybe the tulips and crocuses are crowding them too much. Maybe the chipmunks like them over the tulips. I've noticed some more burrows this year--but I was concerned about the tulips.

I'll have to wait until fall to dig up the bulbs and find out.


So... here are some memories of last year's blooms.

A duet of two-tone golden blooms...

A snowy white daffodil with just a hint of gold in contrast to the lemony tulips behind.

A lone lemony daffodil nestled among some expiring crocus...

Some bright and cheery miniature daffodils to warm Wordsworth's lonely cloud.

Some more little rays of sunshine sheltered under a growing tulip leaf.

Two blooms trumpeting the arrival of spring!


Spring has not only arrived, she's dressed for a celebration! bjh

No comments: