Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Having a T-Party

I love going to antiques malls and looking for items that I could use in my kitchen. I especially love the vintage items that could have been in my Nana's kitchen--treasures such as Pyrex, Decoware, old kitchen gadgets, tablecloths, and tea towels.

However, it has been almost a year since I went antiquing. I was unemployed for a bit and then when I obtained employment, it turned out to be a significant reduction in pay. Consequently, antiquing was moved to the "not in the budget" list. I didn't even want to go to my favorite stores to window shop; it was a bit depressing to go and not be able to purchase even a tea towel.

Gadget Guy and I are doing okay, and I'm grateful that I now have a recession-proof job. However, I've missed visiting my antiquing haunts and finding treasures.

Well, this week that all changed, because...I won something from T-Party Antiques!

Susan at T-Party Antiques has a fondness for antiques and a great collection of vintage items at her website store. She also joined two friends in running a tearoom along the Connecticut coast for five years. I found out about her place too late and missed out on experiencing the T-Cozy. However, her post on making tea sandwiches helped inspire me to host my first tea party in December 2007.

Now, I read her anniversary post and commented on my favorite T-Party blog post, but I didn't expect to win. You see, I don't win random drawings or raffles. If I win a prize for anything, it's because I earned it--like the trophy for my high school science fair project and my scholarship-worthy SAT scores. I don't win at random.

Until now.

When I received word from Susan that I had won, I never thought of looking back at the "giveaway post" to see what I had won. So when it arrived yesterday, I was eager to see what I had won.

First, I opened the tea. Mmm--orange cranberry. Harney and Sons makes a wonderful Cranberry Autumn tea with black tea, cranberry, and orange peel, but I can only drink it in the morning. T-Party's caffeine-free herbal tea will be great any time of day.

Doesn't it look delicious? Remember...good looking = good tasting.

Next, this adorable key holder. I wish I had more keys so I could hang this up and use it. I guess I'll have to find another home for it.

A vintage cake plate made by Knowles China, perfect for me to use when I make myself a birthday cake! (It will be over a week late, but hey, it's still my "birthday month.")

I adore these flowers...

SIGH. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong decade. But then I remember how much I like the modern conveniences...especially air conditioning, dishwashers, and the internet.

I think this asymmetrical and fluted edge is delicate and homey at the same time.

Does that make sense?

Oh, did you notice the vintage calico fabric that I used as a background for the items? Yep, from T-Party also--too cute.

And finally...

The tea is delish.

So stop by Susan's T-Party for antiques, handmade items, or just a trip back in time. You may not want to leave. So make plenty of tea.

Happy T-Party Antiquing!--bjh


Susan from The T-Cozy said...

I'm so glad you like your vintage goodies! If you're ever down in this area of CT, you must stop by my studio and say hello.
Warm regards,

A Sentimental Journey said...

Good Morning!

Found your blog/twitter through T-Party's! I'm in CT, too ~ Redding. Small world, isn't it??! Congrats on winning that lovely bunch of goodies!!

Tony C said...

Now I'm starving...

Do you guys drink sweet tea in Connecticut?

Yea the pictures.

abby jenkins said...

I LOVE THAT TULIP CAKE PLATE!!! oh, it reminds me of spring....